Sunday 6 March 2011

Living with HIV

Well this started at the end of 2003 beginning 2004.  I was brutally raped.  And as any raped victim should do i went through the whole testing story.  Well i was then told that I am HIV+.  As you can imagine it was a shock to me and to my family.  Needless to say i have been living with this over my head for the last 8 years.  I met my wife Tanya in 2008 and in and during 2009 through 2010 i was under regular chiropractic care.  My CD4 count has stablised since 2004 and was 1435 during 2009, so during 2010 i tested my CD4 count again and it was still 1435.  A month ago i did another test and it was still high at 1429 so my GP told me that i should get a test done for HIV, which i then did.

Well 2 weeks ago my doctor called me to come and see him at his rooms.  So what would you do when your doctor calls you and tell you to please come and see him at his rooms.  I made an appointment immediately to go and see him and as i sit there and wait for the doctor my mind was working overtime.  Well the doctor came in and he asked me when and who diagnosed me to be HIV+, so i told him.  Then my doctor told me the very good news....I AM NOT HIV+ AND THERE IS NO TRACE OF THE VIRUS IN MY BODY OR BLOOD.

The relief was tremendous.  The emotions i felt was relief and anger at the same time.  I kept on thinking how it is possible that this could have happened.  I guess what i want to say is whoever reads this is to go for the test regularly and make sure that your tests is yours.  Don't make the same mistake i did because this is a very heavy burden to bear and it changes alot.  One's view of life changes.

The other thing i want to encourage people to do who lives with HIV is to live life to the fullest.  Don't let the virus become you, don't feed the virus with your fears.  My dear wife Tanya told me and encouraged me through this by saying this "HIV is what you have it is not who you are".

Today i am thankful that she said those words to me because today i am living without HIV because I am negative.

1 comment:

  1. I loved you then, I love you now and I will love you always.

    ReplyDelete